Activities offered along the NYS Canal System
NEW YORK STATE (WWTI) – Another season of free “On the Canals” excursions has kicked off in New York State.
This will be the third year of the free recreational program which offers activities along the canal system through the New York Power Authority and the New York State Canal Corporation. The program offers unique opportunities to experience the waterways of the canal system and the adjacent Empire State Trail.
Excursions include kayaking, biking, cruising, painting, bird watching, and accessible activities such as adaptive paddling and biking. New York Power Authority interim president and CEO Justin E. Driscoll said the program is a great way to get in the water and enjoy what the canal has to offer.
“The ‘On the Canals’ excursion program is an innovative use of New York’s canal system, and one that has inspired travelers to visit it and experience it for what it really is – scenic water and trails steeped in rich history offering limitless opportunities for exploration and recreation,” said Driscoll. “I am grateful to Governor Hochul for continuing to invest in our canals and I am certain these excursions will continue to make New York’s canal system a force for economic growth and recreation.
This year’s schedule added new venues and activities and aligned with various festivals taking place across the state. On the list of activities available under the program, three are located in the North Country in Oswego. The full list of excursions is shown below.
- Paddle/Pedal in Brockport with adapted equipment available
- Buffalo Bike Safety Rodeo and Repair Shops
- Buffalo’s Black Rock Historic Bike Tour
- Hydrobike & Kayak the Canal Aqueduct in Medina
- Fishing and Kayaking at Medina Falls and Glenwood Lake in Medina
- Paddle sports for children on the canal in Oswego
- Introduction to Kayaking and Stand-Up Paddleboarding in Oswego
- Sunset Paddling and Urban Paddle in Oswego
- Montezuma Wetlands: Searching for the Bald Eagle in Montezuma
- Canalside Painting (En Plein Air) in Amsterdam and other canalside locations
- STEAM Workshops for Kids and Teens in Schuylerville and Utica
- Schuylerville Bike and Boat Cruises
- Bike Tours in and around Schuylerville
- Guided kayak tours in Buffalo, North Tonawanda, Waterloo and Macedon
- Historic boat tours in Schuylerville, Herkimer, Buffalo and Seneca Lake
- Youth kayaking and water safety in Macedonia
- Introduction to Cycling and Bike Maintenance in Schuylerville
- Paddle/Pedal in Halfmoon
Those interested in finding out more about the “Sur les canals” program or wishing to register for an excursion can do so on the “Sur les canals” website. Additional excursions will be launched throughout the year.