Changed Elden Ring messaging system in Fallout: New Vegas
You cannot walk more than a few meters in Elden Ring without tripping messages from other players. These messages can be helpful, harmful or silly, they can encourage players to jump off cliffs to their certain death or search for secret doors where there are none or alert them to a dog that is certainly do not a dog. After 60 hours of play, these messages may even be a little infuriatingbut it is a beloved tradition inherited from previous Dark Souls games.
But now, Elden Ring isn’t the only open-world RPG where you can find messages from other players that say “Try to jump”, “Liar in front”, and “Try finger but hole”. A modder has added an Elden Ring-like messaging system to Fallout: New Vegas so couriers can now communicate with each other.
The Build Bridges mod is a plugin created by modder Tomminfinite that allows players in New Vegas to leave messages in the world for other players to find. Players with the mod installed will see messages exactly where another player left them, even if the other player left the message minutes earlier. Below you can see the asynchronous multiplayer messaging system at work, where a player leaves a message suggesting “Try jumping” off a cliff top, and another message warning of a mine trap, though ‘it’s placed a little too close to mine itself to be of much help. It’s good grief.
Messages placed in the world appear like weathered sheets of paper on the ground, which fits in pretty well with the post-apocalyptic New Vegas aesthetic. And, like in Elden Ring, players can rate each other’s posts, with positive ratings resulting in benefits for the post creator:
“People can leave likes to your post by increasing the post’s rating and your rating as well,” the mod’s page reads. “Rating gives you levels. With each new level you have more posts you can place at once and your posts can be longer. You can’t see which posts you like and the same goes for everything the world.”
Here’s how it works:
- To post your message – press “B” (default) to launch the BB menu and choose the “Post message” option.
- At level 1, you can have up to 20 messages at the same time containing up to 115 symbols.
- Only ASCII (English alphabet) characters are supported at this time.
- To like another user’s post – activate the post and press “Like this post”.
- You level up by increasing your rating. Your rating is increased when people like your post.
- You can only leave one message per cell (inner or outer).
- The world space (not interior) consists of small separate external cells. You can see which cell you are in in the BB menu.
- Each outer cell can contain up to 10 messages. You usually have 8-9 non-indoor cells charged when you are outdoors.
- Each inner cell can contain up to 35 messages.
Naturally, you will need an internet connection for the Building Bridges mod to work. Messages you post are sent to a server, and messages you find are downloaded from the same location. Well, Building Bridges is compatible with other mods, so if you’re using a mod like Project Brazil or New Vegas Bounties, you’ll be able to leave and find messages in those world spaces as well. There is also a reporting system if you come across a message that you think is offensive.
There are several prerequisites for using the Building Bridges mod: the JIP LN NVSE pluginthe SUP NVS plug-in, and xNVSE (New Vegas script extension). Please see each of these pages for complete installation instructions.
Here is how to install the Building Bridges mod:
- Download Nexus Mods files and install the mod and its requirements (you will need a free account)
- Request an API key by scrolling to the bottom of this page to build bridges.
- Launch the game and enter the API key in the pop-up window.
- Load a saved game and select “Yes” in the BB mod popup.
- Restart the game and you will be able to find and leave messages.
To learn more and read the mod’s FAQ, visit the mod page here at Nexus Mods.