Microsoft Releases Windows 10 20H1 Build 19018 With Quick Web Search Shortcuts
In an effort to simplify the Windows Insider program, Microsoft removed the Skip Ahead ring that allowed users to try the version of Windows 10 beyond that tested by other Insiders. A smart move I think.
Insiders are only testing the 20H1 branch versions, which are slated for release next year, and Microsoft has rolled out another new flight for it.
In version 19018, Microsoft added four quick web searches to the search home page: Weather, Top news, Today in history, and New movies. To view them, select the search box to open Search Home. This feature is currently only available in the United States.
Additionally, there is an updated design for web previews in search results.
Other changes, improvements, and fixes in this release include:
- For insiders who have not taken the cumulative update to version 19013, just note that this version, vvnmcflr (like this update), also includes the fix for the issue causing black screens and disconnections on the desktop remotely during the last two flights.
- Fixed an issue where the Settings app would hang or crash when accessing the System or Ease of Access sections.
- Fixed an issue where if a new account profile photo was synced from the cloud, your old one might not be listed in photo history in accounts settings.
- Fixed an issue where Windows Update History could show a failed update with error 0x80240017 even though the update was successful.
- Fixed an issue that could sometimes prevent the search from showing in the input space available in the search window.
- Fixed an issue that could cause unexpected amount of exe CPU to be used when your device was unplugged in recent versions.
- Fixed an issue that could prevent Cortana from responding to Hey Cortana.
- Fixed an issue that could prevent Cortana from being visible in the taskbar right after upgrading, or from being visible but not working, until you restart your PC.
- Fixed an issue that prevented holding down the Shift key to type uppercase letters in some languages recently when typing with the one-handed touch keyboard.
- As some insiders know, a few releases ago Microsoft announced a new keyboard shortcut (WIN + Ctrl + Shift + B) to help troubleshoot black screens. With today’s release, in that vein, it announces a new keyboard shortcut (WIN + Ctrl + Shift + L) to help investigate issues with the login screen. Simply press the keyboard shortcut while your PC is locked, reproduce your problem, and then briefly press the keyboard again. A reference number will appear that you can share when you report your issue. Please note that currently this is only supported for local sessions connected to network and power, and for which diagnostic data is set to Full.
- Narrator no longer announces changes to fonts when they haven’t changed.
- Updated Narrator autocorrect sound to be more consistent with the editing experience.
- Improved Narrator browsing and reading experience in Chrome.
- Improved Outlook experience with Magnifier when Magnifier is set to follow the text cursor in the center of the screen. The up and down arrow in an email list will no longer force the viewport to the left of the message list.
The known issues are:
- BattlEye and Microsoft have discovered incompatibility issues due to changes in the operating system between certain versions of Insider Preview and certain versions of the BattlEye anti-cheat software. To protect Insiders who might have these versions installed on their PCs, Microsoft has applied a compatibility suspension on these devices to prevent affected versions of Windows Insider Preview from being offered. See this article for more details.
- Microsoft has heard that settings are still not available outside of launch via the URI (ms-settings 🙂 for some insiders and are currently investigating.
- Some insiders report that after successfully installing printer drivers from the Optional Updates section, the same driver still appears as available for installation.
- If this version attempts to download an installation before you have completed the first connection of a previous installation (such as version 19013), you will experience a 2 hour window before you can install this new version.